6 Simple Steps to Improve Your Time Management
If you are having problems at home or at work, there is a good chance that your problems may be caused by your inability to properly manage your time. Do you find yourself easily distracted, missing important deadlines, or showing up to important events late? If so, it may be a good idea to take a few steps to improve your time management.
Indicators of Time Management Problems:
- Frequently late
- Lack of energy and low motivation
- Constant rushing
- Goal setting & achieving issues
We often associate poor time management with missed deadlines and showing up late to work, however, it is important to remember that the same can be said with your social life. How often do you stay in contact with your friends? How often do you get together for coffee, lunch or cocktails? Do you show up late when meeting your friends? You may be putting your friendships at risk.
There are a number of steps you can take to improve your time management, I have listed just a few below:
Simple Steps to Improve Your Time Management
1. Recognise the Problem – Knowing that you have a time management problem is the first step in changing your behavior. Although it may be typical to be late for work or a meeting on occasion, it is something that should not be happening on a daily or a weekly basis. If it is, it is time for you to recognize that you may have a problem.
2. Make the Decision to Change – Knowing that you have a time management problem is important, but wanting to change is even more important. One of the most successful time management techniques is goal setting.
3. Goal Setting – Goals provide an important source of motivation and give you something to specifically aim for. Whether you set a long-term goal; improving the management of your time in general, or a short-term goal; showing up for work on time. Make sure your goals are realistic and remember, setting goals isn’t enough, you need to stick with them.
4. Create Daily Task Lists – Creating a to-do list or task list for yourself is an easy way to properly manage your time, I recommend getting yourself a calendar or daily planner and keep it with you at all times. In fact, it is one of the easiest approaches you can take. Outline what you need to do throughout the day. Be sure to prioritize your list.
5. Rely On Time Management Tools – An alarm clock is a simple, yet effective time management tool that you can and should use. What is nice about alarm clocks, is that most of us already have them in our homes. We often associate alarm clocks with getting up in the morning, they can actually be used for so much more. Most cell phones and computers come with alerts, take advantage of these.
6. Get Organized – Stay organized is another easy, yet effective and successful time management technique. In fact, time management and organization go hand in hand. If you are organized, you will spend less time searching for lost or misplaced items or other important work documents. The more organized you are at both home and work, the easier it will be for you to manage your time.
Review how you use your time and phase out activities that are not goal-directed. This process will require adopting new attitudes and behaviors and tackling obstacles in order to make time management a daily and lifetime reality. Making optimum use of your time is crucial in achieving your goals.