Avoid Extra Holiday Pounds
If you want to keep your calorie consumption in check and avoid extra holiday pounds, follow these 6 steps at your next holiday bash.
1. Before you arrive, trim your appetite – Eat a light snack before you leave your home. A small salad, bowl of cereal, or half a sandwich can help you control your hunger for party food.
2. Bring a healthy dish for the party – Snack trays with vegetables, low-fat cheese, and crackers are a smarter option than chips and dips. Other good options include hummus and pita wedges, fruit skewers, and roasted vegetables.
3. Back away from the buffet table – Grazing does not allow for portion control. Instead, serve yourself a small plate and then sit down to catch up with friends and family in another room. That way, you won’t be tempted to snack more.
4. Practice mindful eating – It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to register that you’re full, so eat slowly. Take your time and enjoy each bite, savoring the flavors, textures, and smells.
5. Limit alcohol – Cocktails add unnecessary calories — and can lead to unhealthy decisions. Choose low-calorie drinks instead. Or cut your alcohol with a splash of seltzer to help reduce the calories per glass.
6. Sit back and relax – Some of us turn to sweets and snacks when we’re stressed. Help control your anxiety by exercising regularly, getting plenty of sleep, and accepting that this time of year is typically hectic. You might just feel a little less pressure when you expect the unexpected!
If you have any great healthy appetizer recipes, please add them in the comments below!!
Source: Kaiser Permanente